News and Events: Calamari, Lemon, Corn and Ricotta Tagliatelle Recipe
Paired Durbanville Hills Sauvignon Blanc
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
For the crumb
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 ml) panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) drained capers, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 ml) chilli flakes
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
For the whipped ricotta
- 350 g ricotta
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) milk
For the pasta
- 500 g tagliatelle
- 120 g butter
- 1 lemon, sliced and seeds removed
- ½ c (15 g) parsley, chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 2 cups (500 ml) corn
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) thyme leaves
- 400 g calamari tubes, sliced
- For the crumb, heat the olive oil, breadcrumbs, capers, and chili flakes over medium heat and fry for 3-4 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are golden and the capers are crispy. Season to taste and set aside until needed.
- For the whipped ricotta, place the ricotta and milk in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Season to taste and set aside until needed.
- For the pasta, bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions or until al dente. Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 30 g butter and the lemon slices to the pan and sear until the lemon is caramelized (about 1 minute per side). Remove and finely chop the lemon slices. Mix with the parsley.
- Add 50 g butter, 2 tbsp olive oil, corn, garlic, and thyme and fry for 4-5 minutes or until golden. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside until needed.
- Wipe out the pan. Heat the remaining butter and olive oil over medium high heat. Fry the calamari for 1-2 minutes until golden and just cooked. Add the pasta, corn, and ½ the lemon mixture and toss to combine.
- Spread spoonfuls of the whipped ricotta onto the serving plates. Top with the calamari pasta, remaining lemon mixture and sprinkle with the spicy breadcrumbs. Serve immediately.