News and Events: Coriander Pesto Pasta Topped with Trout, Avocado and Watercress
Paired with Durbanville Hills Chenin Blanc
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
For the coriander pesto
- 20 g watercress, roughly chopped
- 60 g coriander, roughly chopped
- 50 g parmesan, grated
- ½ cup (50 g) flaked almonds, toasted
- Grated zest of 2 limes
- 2 limes, peeled, pith removed + chopped
- ¾ cup (180 ml) olive oil
- Salt + black pepper, to taste
For the avocado puree
- 2 avocados, peeled + quartered
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 100 g coriander pesto
- ¼ c (60 ml) olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the pasta
- 200 g tenderstem broccoli
- 500 g linguini pasta
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 30 g butter
- 600 g trout fillets
- 20 g watercress
- For the pesto, place the watercress, coriander, parmesan, almonds, lime zest and flesh in a food processor. Slowly add the olive oil in a thin stream, while the motor is running, and blend until smooth. Season to taste.
- For the avocado puree, place the avocados, lime juice, zest, pesto, and olive oil in a food processor. Blend until smooth, season to taste and set aside until needed.
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Add the tenderstem broccoli and cook for 2-3 minutes or until just soft. Drain and set aside until needed.
- Bring a fresh pot of salted water to the boil. Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions or until al dente. Drain, reserving about ¼ – ½ a cup of cooking liquid to keep the pasta from sticking.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat oil and butter in a large frying pan over high heat. Season the trout with salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side for medium or until cooked to your preference. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to rest for 1 minute.
- Toss the pasta with the remaining coriander pesto over medium heat.
- Divide the avocado puree between the serving plates, top with pasta, broccoli, seared trout and watercress. Sprinkle with salt, freshly ground pepper, and lime juice.