News and Events: Moroccan Spiced Aubergine, Butternut and Chevin Lasagne Recipe
Paired with Durbanville Hills Shiraz
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 90 minutes
A little effort
- ½ cup (125 ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup (125 ml) DH Shiraz
- 2 x 400 g chopped tomatoes
- Small handful basil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) brown sugar
- Salt and black pepper
- 700 g aubergines
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) salt
- 1,5 kg butternut, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 400 g mozzarella
- 250 g lasagne sheets
- 100 g chevin
- Preheat the oven to grill.
- Heat 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil in a saucepan over medium high heat and fry the onion until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and fry until fragrant. Deglaze the pan with wine and cook until the alcohol has evaporated. Add the tomatoes, basil, and sugar and season to taste. Cook for 30 minutes until the liquid has reduced slightly and the tomato has cooked out.
- Slice ¾ of the aubergines into 1cm slices. Slice the remaining aubergine into 5mm slices. Salt and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Toss the butternut and thyme in 2 tbsp (30 ml) of oil and season to taste. Arrange on a baking tray and roast until the butternut is golden but soft.
- Turn the oven down to 200°C.
- Wash the salt off the aubergine and pat dry. Heat oil in a large pan and fry the aubergine in batches until golden and caramelised.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and soak the lasagne sheets for 1-2 minutes or until pliable but not cooked.
- Pour 1/3 of the tomato sauce in a 30x20x10 cm (or 3L capacity) oven safe dish, arrange 1/3 of the lasagne sheets over the sauce, followed by all the thick aubergines slices and another 1/3 of the tomatoes.
- Arrange 1/3 of the lasagne sheets, the butternut, ½ of the mozzarella, the remaining lasagne sheets, tomato sauce, grated mozzarella, chevin and thin aubergine slices.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Serve with a fresh tomato and mozzarella salad.