News and Events: Pea Pasta with Pistachio Pesto Recipe
Paired with Durbanville Hills Rosé
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
For the pea sauce
- 2 cups (500 ml) peas, cooked
- 40 g baby spinach
- 30 g basil
- 10 g mint
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ c (70 g) pistachio nuts, toasted
- ½ c (50 g) parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) grated lemon zest
- ¾ c (180 ml) olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
For the pasta
- 500 g spaghetti pasta
- 1 cup (250 ml) cooked peas
- 120 g sugarsnap peas, blanched
- 30 g pistachio nuts, toasted
- Grated lemon zest, to serve
- Grated parmesan, to serve
- Handful of basil, to serve
- For the pea sauce, place the cooked peas, spinach, basil, mint, garlic, pistachio nuts, parmesan salt, lemon juice and rind in a food processor and slowly add the olive oil in a thin stream, while the motor is running, and blend until smooth. Season to taste.
- Bring a fresh pot of salted water to the boil. Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions or until just al dente.
- Reserve 1-2 cups of the pasta’s cooking liquid. Drain the remaining liquid and place the pasta, half of the reserved pasta liquid, pesto, peas, and sugarsnap peas back in a pot and toss over medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. If the sauce is too thick, add more pasta liquid.
- Divide the pasta between the serving bowls and top with the pistachio nuts, grated zest, parmesan, and fresh basil.